Sign in to follow this  
skysurf76

Nightmare fitting and use questions

I purchased a nightmare to start running incursions with and I followed the minimum nightmare fitting exactly.  I have some questions though.

#1 I purchased all the crystals on the fit but as I am not experienced with using lasers I was wondering if someone could explain what crystals I should be using in which situations in incursions.

#2 I purchased the cap transmitter as per the fit and after doing some reading I see that while not required it is nice to find a buddy to use this on.  How exactly does the cap transfer work?  Does it just transfer my capacitor to him 1 for 1 or does it give him more than it takes from me?  Also what is the procedure for finding a buddy to do this with?  I would imagine just locking someone up to use it on without saying anything first would be bad form.

#3 I purchased a full set of tracking and range scripts for the 3 tracking computers.  In incursions which one should I use when?

Sorry for all the questions, but I figure its better to ask on the forums ahead of time then asking in chat when things are shooting at us. =P

Posted (edited)

Hi.

You can use this Crystal Cheat Sheet for ammo reference: kzUumye.jpg

Cap buddy system is always nice with Nightmares. All the Nightmares should use it. WTM does not make it obligatory, because the main policy is to be newbrofriendly, and have fun. However this is really efficient and useful, so really all Nightmares should use a cap chain all the time with other Nightmares.
It generates cap, by giving out more than using up. This ratio can be improved with the skill of "Capacitor Emission Systems" for your favour.
When you join fleet, you can usually ask who wants to cap buddy in fleet chat nowadays. There was a designated channel in the past, but it faded away at some point. Some Nightmares like to establish a private convo for cap-buddy purposes.
Usually you set up the cap chain when you are sitting with your anchor and your cap buddy on the anchor point. A bit hard to cap-buddy while you are burning with 1k speed :)

Nightmares usually use range scripts in tracking computers, cuz they get high tracking speed bonuses via the hull itself. But you should really rotate it depending on your characters skills, and on the range of the ship(or tower) that you are shooting. Also dont forget about stacking penalties. This is something you will just choose and change several times after you get some experience running incursions. 
I know a few pretty good NM pilots, and they actually use their TCs differently than others. It can really vary.

Dont worry about questions, we are here to answer :)

Edited by niki lasvegas

Of note, you'll notice at the top of the sheet that it assumes you have 2 tracking comps running range scripts. Usually I see 3-comp setups, with 2 range and 1 tracking.

And as for cap transfer, as Niki noted the cap emission skill makes it so you spend less cap than you send, to create energy from nowhere. Sent both ways, both partners gain cap.

Thanks for actively thinking about how to contribute to our fleet! Look forward to seeing you on grid.

Awards

Just to jump in on the post i ran for first time with the fleet last night. When asked to cap buddy was told  i needed 2 transfers but the fitting guide asks to fit only 1 and a tractor beam so should i drop the beam for another cap transfer?  And if i lock up and transfer i take it we are ok and will not get concorded or do we need to be in the same corp to buddy.  TIA

33 minutes ago, Cay Droma said:

Just to jump in on the post i ran for first time with the fleet last night. When asked to cap buddy was told  i needed 2 transfers but the fitting guide asks to fit only 1 and a tractor beam so should i drop the beam for another cap transfer?  And if i lock up and transfer i take it we are ok and will not get concorded or do we need to be in the same corp to buddy.  TIA

1 or 2 cap transfers , your choice on a NM. Having tractor beam is only mandatory for Machariels. Its nice to have, but 2 cap transfers are also nice. 
Depends on players preference.

Always make sure your safety is set to green, and then you have 0% chance to get concorded. No matter, what you try to do.
Cap transfers are not considered to be an "agressive" modules anyway.

I agree with Niki, it's up to you.  If chaining one is good, chaining double is better, but it requires that your buddy has 2 as well. I highly recommend fitting at least one transfer.  People vary on the second utility slot, be that another cap, tractor, armor/hull/shield rep... all of these help the fleet in some way. Tractor is less commonly used as we usually ask a mach to run MTAC, but you could always chuck a tractor and mobile depot into your cargo hold for when the need arises.

Awards

Posted (edited)

Actually you can just establish a bit more advanced capchain, with 2 cap buddies at the same time, if need be.
Pretty much almost all the cap transfers can be used in some kind of combo if you think about it. Doesnt really matter if you have 1 or 2.

Nightmare A: 1 cap
Nightmare B: 1 cap
Nightmare C: 1 cap
Nightmare D: 2 caps 
Nightmare E: 2 caps
Nightmare F: 2 caps

First combination:
A -> B -> C -> A

Second combination:
A <-> D <-> B

Third combination:
D <-> E <-> F <-> D

Edited by niki lasvegas

But... So overkill.. Likelihood of being out of range of single buddy is much lower and more manageable vs multi-person chain...

Awards

Yep you are right. A bit more advanced.
But this is something our pilots are already using. 
Have seen it multiple times.
Most of the times its just a simple duo tho'.