Sign in to follow this  
Selphis Schadfreu

New and wanting to Shoot things

Preferred ship. - ID: 14  

9 members have voted

1. 1. If you got to choose the ship next to you which would you prefer. (Knowing it's first come first serve)

• Vindicator
    • Nightmare
    • Machariel

Good evening,

I am wanting to join in the shooting fun but wasn't sure which of the routes to fiskally build up to. I am getting back into eve after a long skilling but not playing spell. I can fly any of the battleships at the same skill level and was wondering what would be appreciated more. Going up the Vindicator route, the Nightmare route, or the Macheriel route?

Or does none of that matter beyond minor differences in day to day running costs due to ammo consumption and aesthetics of the shooting?

Thank you in advance,
Selphis Schadfreu

First off, welcome to WarpTo Me! As far as choosing a shooting platform goes it honestly just depends on what you like more. The Vindi is up close and personal, using webs to help with damage application, the nightmare and machariel are both long range, sniper ships. The nightmare having better application over the machariel with the mach having more alpha. As far as ammo costs I'd say the vindi will cost you more since dps guns use more ammo with a faster cycle time. With the crystals you wouldn't honestly have to replace them all that often if you bought several sets up front and the mach has a really slow cycle time so the amount of ammo you would use for it day to day is less than some others. I personally like my nightmare, those 2 extra high utility slots are nice for the fleet, the mach is great for MTAC (a role in one of the sites that keeps a tower from repairing so we can kill it) with a tractor beam and the vindi is an excellent DPS ship that is there for dealing damage and also is used for the DDD (Drone Bunny) role which is responsible for killing the frigates in the sites. As far as getting into fleet faster (i.e. which ships are needed more often) it just depends on the time and the day. Some days the Sniper waitlist can be really long and other fairly short with the DPS waitlist really long.

Edited by Skyler Scar

Yeah, what it really comes down to is preference. As a pilot of all three, I love my Vindicator, nothing more satisfying than being a giant space shotgun. The Nightmare is an excellent mid-range ship, and honestly benefits the most from high skills. And then I know many people who are Machariel enthusiasts, but the cycle time on their guns is far too long for my taste.

If you were to ask our two most popular ships, it would be Vindi and Nightmare, easily. But again, it's whatever you prefer. I can only suggest trying them both (or all 3) and see how they fit to your style.

Edited by Foshkey

An important thing to consider between the Vindicator and the sniper ships, while the sniper ships have less ammo cost, the Vindicator way outshines most other ships in terms of DPS.
We need both Snipers and Vindicators in fleet, but we need 20 DPS ships (Vindis) compared to 10 Snipers (Mach, Nightmare).

If you think that Vindis use too much ammo and it costs too much, you can always train for T2 guns and you have a comparable, if slightly higher ammo cost than Nightmares, because Crystals are quite a lot more expensive than Hybrid T2 ammo, even if it takes a while to break them.

While Machariels have the lowest ammo usage, their DPS and application lands them on the third place, behind Vindi and Nightmare. They have uses however, being fast. They do excellent when having to do either the Sniper Anchor or MTAC role. Check our guides for these roles if you want.

Edited by Sandor Neko

I have all three gun sets at specialization 3 so it is good to know that the ammo cost difference isn't as high as expected. I will read up on the MTAC role and Sniper Anchor as I have no idea what those are.

Loving the well described advise.