Sign in to follow this  
caribou

Hyperion or Nightmare to start with?

Hi

I'm new to incursion and id like to start doing them with you. I was wondering which one i would go for to start with? Hyperion or Nightmare

i'm usually running combat site with my domi and snipe at 100km with sentries..so at 1st i was thinking Nightmare so i can stay at range...but the group might not need that alot..

thanks

Cari

Hi Cari, 

So, the Hyperion is a starter ship it’s a non-optimal hull. 

The Nightmare is an Optimal Hull. 

The upgrade policy asks you to switch from a non- to a optimal after 30hrs in fleet. 

So if the skill training is about equal, I’d say go for the Nightmare and hit training for t2 Pulse lasers straight away if you can  

Id you have any more questions or thoughts hit me up in a in-game mail and I’ll try and help best I can  

welcome again, Lefath Blue

Think the biggest difference is the Hyperion is a non optimal ship, the nightmare is a optimal ship.

So said the Nightmare will probably need more Skillpoints and is more expensive. But you will be better to upgrade since you just need to upgrad the hull.

But in the long term, both the vindicator and nightmare will need roughly the same Skillpoints.

So long story short: Just use what you like. Laserbot with long range or web/shortrange vindi

ok cool, and between vindi and nightmare, what is needed the most? let say in % for usefull and needed for each? bc if i have to i can learn it

since it is around 1.2B each for starter fit i can have both :)

As a vindi you could start with a Hyperion first to try incursions out. there are btw also other starter battleships which need less skills then the optimals

And lets say there are usually more vindis in fleet then nightmares but also more vindis on waitlist then nightmares. 

If i should answer your question with my gut feeling i feel that a nightmare gets faster in the fleet then a vindicator right now.

thats perfect! i can already fly that nightmare entry fit, training for the standard one

thanks again!

• Upvote 1

Sounds good Cari,

The focus just went down, so we’re expecting a new one within the next 36hrs. 

join us on Discord and in the in-game chat for announcements/ pings on what’s happening. 

Some useful links to read for the Nightmare (just to prepare you for easier adjustment).
It seems a bit overwhelming first, but dont worry about it, you will get used to it.
Rookie guide:

Anchor spots (AAA for NM):

MTAC minigame (as a new pilot you dont have to worry about this last one just yet, but sooner or later as a NM you will have to do this role):

i started training on my alt for logi, bc id like to try it, it reminds me the healer in wow and i was liking it even if i wasnt doing mythic raiding with it

about buying ship, i guess there is decent market near your place? i'll have to buy the nighmare entry fit pretty soon..waiting for Alliance buyback

Neither?  🙂  Being a logi as a newbro is hard, it’d be better if you joined our fleets as dps and learn the ropes first.

8 minutes ago, caribou said:

scimi or basi for a newbie?

The answer used to be scimi because cap chains made the basi harder to fly. But with the fit we're using now, if you're Logi 5 the basi is actually the easier choice now. But only marginally so. So fly the one you are more skilled in. But only fly the basi if you're logi 5.

1 hour ago, caribou said:

about buying ship, i guess there is decent market near your place?

New focus can spawn literally anywhere, but a bit over 50% to actually be near Amarr. But Amarr prices are significantly higher than Jita prices, so best buy at Jita and move the things when new focus spawns.

Check the "how not to die while moving bling" guide if you're not T2 fitted.

Posted (edited)

@Ezra Grayson thats my idea...join as dps and get used to it while my alt train the skill to use the logi and just after that ill give a try to Logi if i like it ;)

Edited by caribou

Dude, 

I’ll lend you my secondary Basi when you’ve got the skills for it so you can fly for a couple of hours. 

@Lefath Blue cool! its like 52days..unless i spend some isk on injectors...but ill take some time to learn the dps before doing that.

I just bought the nightmare entry fit in Amarr, i'll try to enter a run tonight if there is some running and they want a newbie in :) 

Newbros are always welcome. Best way to learn fast is to be proactive. Was going to relink the anchor and mtac guide, but saw Niki already did. Read them if you haven't yet, listen to the FC, and don't hesitate to ask if you got questions, there are no stupid ones.

i did 110min last night, it was very cool..i tried my best on the dps side but honestly Nightmare doesnt have a great dps compare to other ships in the fleet :( I didnt see any other ship in the list that are sniper with much more dps, did i miss any? ofc i continue my training to improve a little my dps and will buy abyss heat sink to help some on the dps side. I also want to try logi, so i need to keep some isk because Basi is not that cheap lol

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, caribou said:

i tried my best on the dps side but honestly Nightmare doesnt have a great dps compare to other ships in the fleet :( I didnt see any other ship in the list that are sniper with much more dps, did i miss any?

Paladin or Vargur, but those are really skill intensive. Nightmare is the best sniper ship you can get that is not a marauder.

Edited by J3di Master Yoda

Nightmares are the best Sniper until you can move into a Paladin or Vargur.

If you want to do higher DPS, you will need to change over to a Vindicator, and then eventually a Kronos if you want to keep upgrading into something higher.  

Essentially, for raw DPS, the ships in order are:  
Kronos
Paladin
Vargur
Vindicator
Nightmare

Its a little misleading because we still need them all. 

Nightmares are useful for MTACing and they don't deal bad damage, they just aren't Marauders.  Their long optimal range also makes them very effective in a lot of situations that higher DPS ships struggle in.  
Vindicators used to be the short range DPS kings before the Marauder buff, but now their web bonus is their big advantage.  You will still deal great damage just due to the fantastic hull bonuses of the ship, but the important part is making sure you are always webbing stuff.  You burn around more than any other ship, to keep in range and web targets. 
Kronos are the highest DPS subcap in the game, but have INCREDIBLY short range.  They only work in Incursions because of the way spawns work.  Our Vindicators locking down targets with webs to keep them in range for the Kronos is what makes them so strong.  Without a good balance of both, the Kronos isn't very good.  
The Paladin is essentially a Nightmare ramped up to 11.  It does double gun DPS as it has the same bonuses, but the optimal range is vastly increased in exchange for the tracking bonus.  With proper piloting, the optimal range bonus can result in close to the same effective tracking increase.  Since it has extremely high DPS, any time targets aren't webbed into range for the DPS ships, it can quite easily be dealing the most DPS on grid.  
The Vargur is sort of a hybrid between the Paladin and Kronos, in that it prefers close range.  It can deal very good DPS to longer range targets, however, which is why it primarily functions as a Sniper.  It has the added benefit of being more forgiving on tank, and easily able to fit a MJD and MWD at the same time.

So really, I would recommend picking the playstyle that suits you and training/working towards that.

ill train toward paladin, i guess..while ill try the logi on my alt in like 50days..lol..i still have time to play the Nightmare. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Nightmare its just the 700-800dps feels low compare to others...and i want to contribute the most to help the fleet finish the site as quick as possible.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you go for any marauder later on, be aware that we require more than just enough skills to get inside. List of skills required available in the post below, it also includes link for guides for each hulls, and if you're done training everything and got the fit, you can apply with the link at the bottom, then there is a bit of training to be done with backseats, should take about two hours, depending on site types availability.

Edited by J3di Master Yoda
Forgot to add the link >_<'

Ooo mate don’t worry. 
if you start upgrading your NM you’ll be in 1100 dps real soon :))

the marauder train is long and hard, just like… a tree in the forest. Just gotta deal with it. Meanwhile, spend your isk upgrading the NM and Basi and become the best pilot you can be. It’ll be awarded in the end :)))

yeah im not worry about Marauder at the moment...i still have some skill to train to use T2 ammo and some other skill to improve shield res as well.. i did buy 4 sansha laser already...just cant use the T2 ammo at the moment :(  next thing to upgrade will be abyss heat sink, implants and save for Basi ofc :) 

• Upvote 1

I’ve got loooaaaads of LP I’ll gladly buy the implants for you if you provide the isk 

Hit me up in-game / Eve-mail with the ones you need 6-10 slot and I’ll see what I can do